A Lovely Suprise

I was extremely surprised when last week I recieved a note from an art teacher that that I had 20 years ago.

This was her note:

This E mail will come as a "blast from the past" and it is such an amazing one for me to write.  I was in Provincetown this week to view and put a bid on a painting  in the museum's auction (Jimmy Hanson...don't know if you knew him; we were close back in the 70's and graduated college together) anyway, as we walked by the Kobalt gallery I saw your work, and thought it HAS to be the same Cherie who was such a memorable student !  I retired from Norwalk after 35 years teaching art this past June, and my thoughts have been of persons who have made a difference and impressions on me throughout my career.  I am still in touch w/Mary Quinlan...Ed Warner is now retired to VT. and many students come to mind; most of all students from the beginning of my career at NHS.  I am so happy to see you so successful...I remember you with so much fondness and was always so impressed with your enthusiasm, it is no surprise that you have turned out to be so involved.  My favorite memory is your sculpture for finals  ...the Jello toilet!  I also remember sadly your amazing self portrait that you cast from pewter that was stolen from the exhibit at the Silvermine guild. You brought so much joy and wonder to the classroom and your paintings still evoke  the same feelings.  I justt thought I would let you know what an impression you made and how you touched me then and now.  I was always so impressed that you carried a sketchbook with you always...that memory stays with me.  Anyway,  I wanted to say "hi,"...I hope you are THE Cherie I am remembering. (I guess it would be pretty embarrassing if I'm writing to the wrong person!)  If you are back in the area, please get in touch...I'm sorry I missed your show's opening,I would have loved to see you.  By the way, I love,love, LOVE your work...especially the crows.  I have a fondness for them.  Again, all the best, and keep up the amazing work. 

Fondly, Joyce Zukauskas (aka Mrs. Z)

This image was from 1976, when I was a black girl.
She pretty much got everything correct except the Jello toilet, it was a gingerbread toilet! Not bad for 20 years ago!!

Comments

Popular Posts