Time & Horseshoe Crabs

The Horseshoe Crab Mating Dance
I have no idea where the month of April went. Is this a good thing? I don't know. There is a bunch going on at work, there are paintings that are wanting to be painted. There are flowers that need to be planted. The deck needs attention, I want to be sitting on it and do the ritual of walking the dogs and then staring out....looking at the boats through the breakwater. Looking at the light. Watching the ducks sing. I need to find something to wear for my nephew's bar mitzvah next weekend.

Yesterday, I flipped a giant horseshoe crab over to it's feet side and the thing, it did a bow, I thought it was dead. It lifted half of its body, like a big middle fold. Stood like that for a half a minute and then flattened back out. It was about 9" wide. It was so old it had barnacles on it. 


I love horseshoe crabs.They are so archaic. They make these spirals on the beach when they are mating. Some days the beach is filled with the pentimento of the mating spirals, though there is no sign of them. Maybe they are buried deep into the sand. Or maybe the tide takes them out and they are swimming around....who knows?

I found this image of a man with Giant Horseshoe Crab




Comments

  1. "the pentimento of the mating spirals"
    Love that! We all have those pentimenti,only they're not visible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts