Summer & Water Buffalo

It's Saturday August 20th. I can't believe that summer is almost over. I just can't believe that and I do have to say a big part of me is happy about it. I don't want to become one of those year-rounders that throw parties when the tourists leave, though there is a part of me, that rejoices in the thought of not having to work at least 3 nights a week and at least one weekend day, while working 40+ hours.

I do love warm water and sun smashing on my face. A LOT. I do love going kayaking at high tide and I like it even during low tide. Though I don't love having to drag the kayak too far, so high tide it is.

Last night there was a group show opened at Kobalt Gallery and many people were liking my new paintings. I realized I hadn't photographed some of them. So I need to swing by and do that.

This is the ending of Carnival Week. That's a whole post on it's own.

Went to the Farmer's Market this morning and got some corn, tomatoes, blueberries, onions and a few other delicious things. Oh the main reason for going was the baratta. Which is mozzarella cheese filled with a soft cheese with figs and almonds inside. It is the most decadent thing I ever had. I could eat the whole ball. Best when left out for a short time to get the inner cheese to soften. The woman who makes it comes all the way from Falmouth. She make the cheese everyday. Though the market is only once a week. When she doesn't show up, things are just not the same. Wonder if she has water buffalo over there in Falmouth. Have I ever mentioned the water buffalo farm I visited in Italy? It was an amazing place. There were hundreds of GIANT ANIMALS, water buffalo, have you ever seen them? The are twice the size of a cow, and they move in very gentle ways, they love the mud and they only eat organic straw, some of them have horns. I was obsessed with them while in Italy, the group toured the whole place, wondered around the places where they smoked the cheese under fire, and I was still feeding, photographing, drawing and painting them. Loved them. They rolled in the mud and sometimes rubbed their muddy horns on the neighboring beast. They were never aggressive and never mean spirited. At that farm they also had a restaurant where you can eat the cheese and drink wine and eat bread.  My kind of lunch.


Here are a few drawing out of my sketchbook from Italy trip.





Comments

  1. great post, thanks for sharing. Gotta get me one of those cheese balls next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts