Winter Flowers

It's a funny thing, this time a year I always paint flowers, most of the time it's amaryllis but this year I started painting other flowers, first it was Ranunculus, as they are my favorite flowers and you barely ever see them. I found many bunches at Trader Joe's last month and they started my series.




 While looking up Ranunculous, I found a very useful fact! And it is the following...

All Ranunculus species are poisonous when eaten fresh by cattle, horses, and other livestock, but their acrid taste and the blistering of the mouth caused by their poison means they are usually left uneaten. Poisoning can occur where buttercups are abundant in overgrazed fields where little other edible plant growth is left, and the animals eat them out of desperation. Symptoms include bloody diarrhea, excessive salivation, colic, and severe blistering of the mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. 

So don't let your cattle or the chickens eat your plants!




 
Then this past weekend I painted some tulips. I think they have something in common with the ranunculus, the crazy way they droop as they age, the multiple colors, how they unwind. They get more wild the more they age. Kind of like me and my hair.



These paintings are all on handmade paper, 10" x 12" with encaustic paint, pigment stick & marble dust. 

Comments

Popular Posts