A Very Waxy Night in the Galleries in Provincetown + Castle Hill

The National Encaustic Juried Show took place at Kobalt Gallery this year and was juried by Francine  D' Olimpio. There were over 120 entries and 35 artists were selected.  Hard decisions were made and everyone thought it was a wonderful show! This was free and open to anyone who attended the conference.

There was also great Encaustic shows at Bowerstock,  Ernden Gallery, Rice Pollack and don't forget the fabulous Sculpture in Wax Invitational at Castle Hill. Many galleries want to be part of the excitement next year. So next year it will be even bigger!

Thanks to all those who came and entered and all those galleries who participated.

Bottom straight ahead winner of the Castle Hill Award

Nice room shot - straight ahead Elena De La Ville & Susan Lasch Krevitt (top)


Christina Kyle - winner of the Director's Award


Top left is Marybeth Rothman - winner of the Jurors Award

David A. Clark

Jeff Shaller

This is my work, it wasn't part of the juried show, but I show at Kobalt and it made it to the wall. :)

Catherine Nash and Gregory Wright (on wall behind) at Bowerstock - Catherine won best in Show and was given a solo show in 2012.

Mark St. Piere

Gregory Wright

Crowds arriving at Kobalt

Dorothy Cochran, trying to see the art amid the wild crowds

Millisa Galazzi at Ernden Gallery

Wall at Rice Pollack where Joanne Matera and Marla Rice co Curated a show called "Surfaces"

Joanne Mattera in front of her painting at Rice Pollack

This is from the Sculpture in Wax invitational at Castle Hill

Nancy Natale at Castle Hill

Miles Conrad with Laura Moriarty in the forground

Catherine Nash

Catherine Nash also at Castle Hill

Kim Bernard

Miles Conrad
This was a really beautiful show at Castle Hill, I curated it, and you just never know until you see the works. Though all so different, the show held together with a common thread...WAX, each of the artists in the show taught a workshop during the post conference at Castle Hill, all were sold out and exceptional workshops. Well mostly all.

I was lucky enough to take Advanced Encaustic with Unconventional Materials with Nancy Natale. I had a blast with my mystery box. This is my piece (which is not totally done) to the left. It was a fun class and also Joanne Mattera, Lynette Haggard, Sherry Posternak, Binnie Birstein and many other fun people too. The class forced all of us to do things we don't usually do.  I had a tennis ball that soon became a bee!

I also had a barbie doll, which ended up her own thing: Our Lady of Barbie-loop - photo to come. She was waxed and wrapped in pattern making paper. She looked good. Much better that her naked self. I had joked this was the most I ever played with a Barbie Doll!

More about the Post Conference Workshop in another post.



Comments

  1. Cherie - Thanks for posting images of all the award winners from the Kobalt show. I knew there were more awards but I just couldn't remember what they were and I certainly wasn't able to get pictures of anything at the opening because of the crowd. I did try to go to see the show again, but the gallery was not open when I went. I thought everything looked really great, and the sculpture show that you curated was beautiful. Great job! Thanks for inviting me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts